Friday, June 20, 2008

A little parenting hiccup

So we had our first parenting “oh sh*t” the other night. We went out to dinner in Mill Creek for Joe’s b-day and after dinner Joe and Gina were meeting us at our car so we could get Joe’s gift. While we were waiting for them I put Cal in the car and was sitting in the front passenger side with the door open (you can probably see where this is going). When I saw them coming I hopped out of the car and shut the door, then went to the backseat door to grab the gift, but there was a problem, the door was locked. We frantically checked, and all the doors were locked and there was Cal just chilling in the back seat with not a care in the world.

Both my main set of keys and the spare keys were locked in the car cause we had just got my car back from the shop (ironically the locks had to get fixed). Some how my remote key in the diaper bag or on the seat got pushed and locked the doors.

We called AAA and they told us it would be a 20-30 minute wait for a truck to come out so we then called the police. As we were on the phone with them a cop car went cruising by so Gina and I flagged the officer down and she was able to pop the locks.

I feel like a horrible parent but it could have been a lot worse. Fortunately, Cal was completely content being in the car alone and it wasn’t too hot outside. Also, everyone has reassured me that this pretty much happens to everyone at some point with a child (including my mom who locked me in the car at 6 months).

4 comments:

Joe and Gina said...

I have to say you guys handled it really well. I'm glad we were there to witness it all and help break Cal out! What about that cop though... was it a man or woman?

Unknown said...

You guys did great, just one of the glitches of parenthood, many more to come! Sure miss you guys and especially Cal, can't get enough of him. Give him a kiss from Gram and Pop, also one for Suzie and Clyde, don't want the granddogs left out. :-)
Love,
Gram & Pop

The McFarlane Family said...

Oh no! Don't feel bad! We have done much worse to Charlie. Ask me some of my stories some time. Like when I kicked him in the face. I'm glad Cal is okay!

The McFarlane Family said...

We thought you might like to know that today Charlie got locked in the car in the 85 degree at the Goodwill. Three policeman later he was freed, a little sweaty but fine. His mom was quite embarrased.