Saturday, July 31, 2010

Bennett's birth story

For the sake of remembering how B's birthday went since our blog is essentially the kids' baby books and for sharing for the story with those that are interested, I thought I'd share a tid-bit about how this very special day went down.

I was scheduled to be induced on June 30 however after calling labor & delivery in the morning to make sure they had room for us (if they are too busy they bump any scheduled inductions), we found out they were too full, so they eventually re-scheduled me for the next morning. I was actually thrilled, this gave me one more day of hopefully going into labor on my own and I liked the idea of a July 1 birthday.

So July 1 we head into the hospital, get situated in our room, and get hooked up to pitocin (sp?) to hopefully get things underway. After a couple hours and some not very strong, somewhat irregular contractions my dr. decided to break my water (12:50 p.m.). From previous experience I was thinking after my doc broke my water, I'd get my epidural, have several hours to relax, read some magazines, visit with fam , etc. and my doc would be back later in the day to deliver our baby boy (which my doc also thought was the case since he left the hospital). Well, not so much this time around.... I went into active labor at 1 p.m. and it hit like a ton of bricks. I went from 4 cm to 9 in about 40 minutes and next thing I know a bunch of nurses are filling the room, telling me they are going to delivery my baby since my doc (and no other OB's for that matter) were around. Lovely. We didn't even have time to call our families to say it was time. Fortunately, my OB flew into the room at the knick of time right as I was starting to push and a couple minutes of pushing later at 2:03 p.m., our precious baby boy entered the world!

One minute he's in. and the next he was out.

No comments: