Wednesday, September 1, 2010

And I thought we were in the clear...

Not so much, last week we had another little fire scare behind our house. My mom called me in the afternoon and said she heard there was a fire up around our house but didn't know if it was a house fire or a brush fire. I said, well I haven't heard any sirens so it must not be around here but I'll take a look outside. Sure enough, behind our house the fields were on fire.... again. This time it was right up to what had already burned. Starting to panic a bit, I put the kids down for their naps and had my mom come up to help me keep my cool since Ian was at work. Within minutes fire trucks and brush rigs galore were racing up the hill and parked behind our house. An all too familiar feeling. While this fire wasn't nearly as bad as the last one I just kept thinking about how the first fire started out small like this and then it got so big (and this one was starting a lot closer to our house). Fortunately, there was little wind and lots of fire rigs so they got the fire contained and out within an hour or so.

Poor Cal slept through the fire but as soon as he woke up we spent the rest of the afternoon on the balcony watching the remaining fire trucks put out hot spots and bulldozer some of the burned areas.

fire trucks arriving

No comments: