Monday, November 7, 2011

Elk Hunting Success!!

It's not every year that I get to gloat about elk hunting, but it was a great year this year.  My guide (Jim Smith) was well worth the three Coors Lights that he charges for a full week of hunting.
Opening day was very exciting.  We took the 81 Ford, got it stuck, put chains on, got it stuck again, unstuck it, parked it, walked two miles, and than starting hunting (two hours later than planned). At 9:15am Jim and I were sitting on log bs-ing when a group of cows came walking out of the trees at about 75 yards.  Shortly after, a nice looking "true" spike walked out and gave a near-perfect presentation....kabooom!
The hanging weight was 259 lbs and the spikes are just over 21 inches.

We ended up seeing a nice herd of elk all four days I went hunting, very unusual for this spot.  Hunting this year was a blast and I owe Jim and big thank you for letting me go with him.  I would also like to thank Grandpa Jack for the truck, Papa Joe for the rifle, and my lovely wife for the new scope and for watching kids while I was out hunting.

1 comment:

The Gibbons' in Sunny California! said...

Congrats! You really earned that one. J